Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jack Duckworth

spoiler alert: this post makes reference to the August 29 episode on CBC

I must say that Jack (Duckworth, not baby Jack) looks pretty good for a guy with mere weeks to live and he was certainly in fine form for his birthday celebration at (where else?) the Rovers.

There was a certain sense of history as the cake was brought out, reflected in the faces of longtime friends like Ken, Emily, Betty and Rita. There's no doubt that Jack D. is one of the quintessential Coronation Street characters, a bit of a skiver with an eye for the ladies, a taste for a pint and a penchant for betting on the ponies.

Jack made a touching speech in the Rovers and, in case you missed it, here's the main part:

"I'd like to thank you all for your friendship for the past 30 odd years or so. It's a pity that our Vera can't be here but you can't have everything though, can you.

I'd like to thank Connie for putting up with me as well as she has. Thank you. And Tyrone and Molly for being like a son and daughter and I am so chuffed about that little lad because he'll be here long after I'm gone so for me he is the future. So raise your glass to Molly, Tyrone and little Jack."

-- All the best, Jack. I just wish your birthday could have been a little happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment