Friday, September 18, 2009

Kilt complex

spoiler alert: this post makes reference to the September 17 episode on CBC

Well, it's nice to finally meet Tony's brother. Pat seems like a nice lad (are you sure they're related? - ed). He is certainly shedding some light on Tony's mysterious background. For example, we discovered that 'T' was married before (och, just a wee detail - ed). And we know that the Tonemeister (aka 'Flash' Gordon according to Jed Stone) kidnapped young Pat's Action Man when they were kids (probably paid his bald henchman to do it - ed). As the naively astute Tom says to Pat: "Your childhood must have been a nightmare with this one as your brother."

Hmm, I wonder what growing up with Tony was like? If only Pat would expound, I think it would go something like this...

"Tony was a bonny bro. He used to take me for long walks in the glen (but I always managed to find my way back home). He said he loved the smell of Heather, but by afternoon he would grow tired of her and send her home. When we were older, he refused to pay for my music classes. He said bagpipe lessons were redundant. But he loved to hear me play traditional Scottish laments. His constant request was that I play 'Far, far away'. (Do you ken it?).

One summer, our dad got a job as an extra on 'Braveheart' so we had a few pennies to spend on frills like food and shelter. We stayed in a nice cabin by the lake. Tony would dare me to go swimming at midnight. 'There's nothing to be afraid of in Loch Ness,' he would say. 'It's perfectly safe. I'd join you but I don't want to get my sporran wet.' When I came back, cold, wet and shivering, Tony would be there to offer me a tea towel to dry myself and the warmth of a roaring candle. He was a guid lad."

****

Shots from the hip... well, that's it for the week. looking forward to the continuation of Tony and Carla's wedding and the fallout from their nuptials. Enjoy the weekend edition and meet me back here next week. All the best and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment